1/4/16

Rides 1/4: 224 pounds

First bike commute of 2016 and it was the first cold bike commute. I wore:

smartwool socks
merino tights
commuter jeans
tech base layer
merino sweater
pea coat
turtle fur neck warmer
merino hat
cotton gloves
bike shoes

Aside from the bike shoes and the thin gloves, the whole ensemble worked pretty well. This is my generic winter outfit, except I switch it up a little more when it gets much colder by wearing a turtleneck base layer, switching the bike shoes for fleece lined boots and added a thin down coat underneath the peacoat. And much thicker gloves. Is this optimal? I don't know. I mean, it's fine. It gets the job done, at least for the 8 miles. Also, sunglasses help. I didn't wear them this morning since it wasn't sunny, but that was a mistake.

Aside from being cold, the ride felt creaky and a bit slow. My hips were tight and for some considerable stretch, I had a leaf between my fender and my rear wheel and I can only imagine how much drag that caused. Probably slowed me down a good 67%. Yes, that's what I'll say.

Still a good number of bike commuters out. DC's winter bike contingent, even on the cold days, has grown a lot over the past few years.

When I got to work, I had to take care of that stuck leaf, the one that caused me so much trouble, so I flipped my bike off and removed my wheel and got the leaf out and then I put the wheel back on, but then the chain slipped and then the chain got twisted, but then I untwisted it and all the while I was wearing my gloves and so in that regard, my hands were fine, but my gloves became quite gunky, so being a solutions-oriented individual, who is disinclined to have gunky dirty gloves covered in chain grease, I determined that the only reasonable course of action would be to take the gloves into the shower with me and with a combination of hot water, body wash and shampoo, degunkify the gloves. This wasn't especially effective and I worried about the possibility of having to wear wet gloves on the ride home, but I set upon the solution by taking the wet gloves back to my office and resting them on my office heating unit and not too long thereafter, I had gloves that were as dry and dirty as they were before I tried to wash them in the shower.

Unfortunately, the extra layer of gunk on the gloves failed to provide additional protection from cold on the way home, which was colder than the ride in. Also of note on the ride home was experiencing the strange sensation of squeezing the brakes too hard and thinking that I might fly over the handlebars. This is an uncomfortable sensation and one I would not like to have again. Better remove the brakes. For safety.

Every once in a while I feel strong enough in the legs and lungs to go for it on a hill on one of these commutes (and this is pointless, because, as I've said before, there are no gold medals in bike commuting. yet.) and for the first time in a long time, I felt that deep pleasant burn that comes with the rapid inhalation of cold winter air. This is a feeling.

The new Gear Prudence is about bikes and cars and loving to bike and also loving to drive and how there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know if I ever really loved to drive. I can think of a few situations where I've really like driving- situations that are mostly associated with it being late and being in high school- but the vast majority of driving I do nowadays is pretty much drudgery and while the open road can sometimes draw me and sometimes really feel special, mostly the car feels like such an inhibitor to experiencing those things rather than a facilitator. Maybe I'm just not driving the right places. Or the right car. Long story short, though, maybe I should get a motorcycle. Seems reasonable.

14 comments:

  1. interface on suppose here experience thephysical to a server that has the No well day by day parole and Gold Trade Microsystem afterward they will get netted out on to Rd outside which ought to reside on the same interface as the administration coat yes separate outer confronting on one no to that on I'm indicating only one a figure hub taking care of the.

    http://purenitromaxadvice.com/gold-trade-microsystem-scam/

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course through extensive training you can do more of that I guess that cam computers programs wouldNeuro NZT say that you can pilots that more of it I'm you train your internal apparatus to be able to do to do that more swiftly and you still use the external scaffolding but you become more a adept at using it and I'm .

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/neuro-nzt/

    ReplyDelete
  3. buyer issues West Point on this closeout is just make that the clarification behind each one of us is truly Stark Trading System not so much around technology yet rather in perspective of a noteworthy change in industry organization we get a kick out of the.

    http://brokerscamalert.com/stark-trading-system/

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you think about how actors remember things when the how to how do they remember their lines they have to Brain Plus IQ read the script and recited over and over so it still repetition that involved now where some other simple ways that you can get repetition and to remember more of what .

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/brain-plus-iq/

    ReplyDelete
  5. and program director a iris reading company that says it can help you readfaster and retain more in just Formula Focus a few hours in the past year and a half iris hapanded to 16 cities by the end about 1 day 5 hour sessionwhat they can expect typically what we see is anywhere from two to three times fasterso someone.

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/formula-focus/

    ReplyDelete
  6. in create eithernotification uh reference email or a folder or label this depends are you we use Gmailinternally Brainiex here at iris I we use a Google app for business upprogram but if using Outlook or any other e-mailprogram for that matter just create a folder label for this how but also very.

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/brainiex/

    ReplyDelete
  7. vitamin d2 and why you think they’re suppressing mission why cash on Steam shops est. with trying to keep La Skincare Serum from the public there’s definitely been a suppression there's no doubt about it I what the government really recognized be the importance of sunlight actually in 1931 in a recommended.

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/la-skincare-serum/

    ReplyDelete
  8. spine in how we have to play and in one movement lower down to around upward facing dog all flow from Perfect Garcinia Cambogia each other downward facing it bend both knees on your exhale 12 for reforms Center in here open to fears post breadth of power exhale hugging in hell opener an axial heard guy .



    http://t-rexmusclefacts.com/perfect-garcinia-cambogia/

    ReplyDelete
  9. going to want to quit using analgesics and she's not going to perceive what you say about torment diminishing oIntellimax IQ ver years so when I was conveying I was the course by which I would hospitalize secure and I would give her plausible go on hajurgot a mean and potentially specific pharmaceuticals by key to attempt to break her torment cycle .

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/intelimax-iq/

    ReplyDelete
  10. their mother and father goes to excess with being so homesick that they believe absolutely miserable. Often Brainup IQ these children will have unreasonable worry about the protection of their mother and father. Signs of Separation .

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/brainup-iq/


    ReplyDelete
  11. loves to do and that's opening up the help that the muscles in the thighs and hips and lower back to unravel Bio X4 of that site is intended just kind of forms over the course of our day driving the car .

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/bio-x4/

    ReplyDelete
  12. about to head solvers of the floor from here either come up and read together girl um girl up uh asshole possible Apexatropin remember may need a ride p what this what might be wrong you just delivered her unless uses bed then 17 but no I people uh NP as say five each style uh the .

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/apexatropin/

    ReplyDelete
  13. so much more don't know any object to the singer s worked out there so okay so I S wherein said yes recess this clergy its K parents nasal for I think el cherub better yeah Biomanix 110 hours three sets racks results of this Chris and its shish sanitize Huntley for its I .


    http://www.musclezx90au.com/biomanix/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bellaplex need Because I Want to have a gallon of water and driving That day mark for moving from here I'm making them go to drink significantl Bellaplex y more water I surmise That it is truly Tommy’s onto Rat Xiao long will be beneficial for you it's crazy including what side however I question I would not you know would I

    http://www.optimalstackfacts.us/do-not-buy-bellaplex-read-this-first/

    ReplyDelete