9/6/16

Rides 9/6

First day back at work after the long weekend and the bike wasn't nearly as sluggish I felt. I rode the Ogre, which is set up with big knobby tires that make a very pleasant whirring noise on the DC pavement. They'd likely make the same whirring noise on non-DC pavements, but that's not the way to work. I don't often think of cycling as a sonic experience, but it is. Especially when you stop for a Bacon Cheeseburger TOASTER. It's a lovely thing to hear lovely noises from your lovely bike.

18th to Adams Mill to Calvert and slowly up the hill. Rare sightings of another cyclist on the west side of the bridge, but he rode up Woodley to I wonder where. I don't wonder too much- that'd be nosy and everyone has a right to cycle to wherever they're going with some degree of privacy (btw, you won't get this in the robot taxi future that people insist is coming. Your robot taxi- and whoever owns it- will know everywhere you have gone. Cycling- the preferred transport of paranoid nutjobs and technophobes!), but I'm still curious since there's not many businesses up that way and it was the ride-to-work time of morning. Hopefully it was somewhere fun.

Easy ride home down Mass to a somewhat perilous crossing at Mass and Garfield. I was in the crosswalk and so were turning drivers. There was sun glare. It would've been no excuse, but it also would've been a complete excuse for any "accident" that  would've occurred had I not been so cautious. Such is the way it is. Anyway, I don't rush across crosswalks. It seems counterintuitive, but I feel much safer in crosswalks when I go slower (this is true both walking and biking) since it forces (hopefully!) drivers to really acknowledge you and stop rather than just kind of slow. I consider this a small price to pay for my remaining not run over, but I'm admittedly biased in this. Rush across a crosswalk too fast and maybe the driver doesn't slow down as much and maybe he gets it wrong and maybe you suffer that consequences of that. Oh well. That's just my approach. I'm sure others are just as wrong.

Cleveland, Calvert, Biltmore, 19th, T and home. It was warm, but I rode home in work clothes anyway. I wore novelty socks. They had pictures of poutine on them and they were a gift and I like them very much.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of teachers and administrators ride to work in the Woodley Park area. I knew several at Maret School.

    ReplyDelete